IM'ing about art

earthdog7900: What does it take to make art?
d-town: brb, thats a complex question
earthdog7900: Just a question, I would love to hear your answer something
d-town: it takes a comprehensive understanding of art history to know what has been said before and how it all began. only with knowledge of technique, learned skill and a lot of experimentation can one find the correct media for the execution of their ideas. it also takes the knowledge of contemporary and past theory to know where your art is located within the critical dialogue. because in the end, all art is talking about art. like it or not.

I love this answer. I really hate when I hear people say they cannot define art. I agree with everything she says and not just for the 'fine arts.' This is an answer from a woman who teaches art and makes art for a living.

Comments

Popular Posts