Work and Other Ideas

As of today I have been at TiVo for 2.5 years. That is 30 months if you are counting. I do not want to even think about how many hours I have spent here. I have worked here longer then any other job I have had. At this rate I will work here longer then any other two jobs.

This week my department had the last scheduled round of force reductions. It has been in the works for months now, but it was still hard. It was hard to see people take the news. I did not feel very good about work yesterday. I am happy that I am not getting laid off. In this job environment I should be happy to have a job. It still made me feel bad to have a job while these other people were asked to go.

In the long run, I am worried about my job. I do not know when someone is going to decide that my job is not part of the next business plan. I really like the company I work for, but I want to get away from my department. In the past I have tried to change departments. I have never been successful in the past. I was seen by too valuable by my department. It might have saved me; those jobs were eliminated in previous layoffs. Now I feel that I should get away from where I am not. I can see my job being disposable in the future. I have to find the right way to do all these things. I am not sure I can do it without leaving myself open to other problems.

I just found out that one of my other friends here is leaving. He decided to resign as the result of a bad review. He told me that the job no longer excited him. His experence is one the job stops exciting him, he cannot keep the job. His work suffers and he is soon let go. This time he decided to resign before he was let go. There is something shocking about this. I know that I loose my excitement from time to time. I am not afraid of being let go as a result. My review is next week. I think that I am going to have a good review. Now I just have to wait and see.

Comments

Popular Posts