Travel Suggestions

My friend Angela-la-la sent me this. I think she has some good travel advice here.

I have some thoughts regarding long road trips. I've never driven across country, but i do drive up to Canada every year, and have done the trip in varying lengths and number of days and detours. Here are my observations:

1. I think unless there is someplace you know you want to stay longer, you should try and drive every day, but vary the times. It gives you a sense of accomplishment. Even if you just do two hours one day and ten the next, it gives you a feeling of movement. Plan for maybe one or two longer stopovers where you can stay in the same place twice in a row so you don't go completely nomadically nuts.

2. Jack adds, "plan out your trip fifteen times in advance." Once you decide on a route, put it aside for a day or two and go back to it to see if it still looks good. Driving without confidence really makes a trip harder.

3. You might be able to get a new seat for your car for fifty bucks at a junkyard, if that's a concern, since it sounds like that might make or break Cathy going.

4. This probably doesn't need to be said, but remain open to the possibility of changing your mind about what you want to do once you get there. You might want to spend an extra day in, say, Vegas. You might spend an hour at the Grand Canyon and want to move on. Last time i went to Toronto i really thought i wanted to stay in Niagara Falls until i got there and decided it sucked, and i got to Toronto a day early.

5. Bring more cds than you think you'll need and less food. I am in the habit of packing a big cooler which takes up a lot of space and then remembering that there are supermarkets everywhere, not just in Philly ;).

I'm sure i will think of more things as time goes on. I am making my first solo trip to Montreal and i'm sure i will have all kinds of different thought once i travel without a backup.

P.S. Also, don't forget car games! They've saved my life (literally, they stop me from falling asleep).

Comments

Popular Posts