Conflicts of Place

For a long time I have been thinking of Portland as one of "my cities." I have been looking at this vacation as a chance to go back to a place that I used to live. This makes me think about the places I lived. When I lived in Portland 2 1/2 (1998-1999) years ago, people said it was a different place then it was 2 1/2 before then (1995-1996). The flavor of the scene was really starting to change. By 1998 the live music scene had began to die out. It was replaced by raves. The dot.com boom was starting to hit Portland also. People were using words like "Silicon Forest."

I do not know how Portland is different now. I have not been back to visit since 2000. I have the feeling it is different. It might be different because now I am pushing 30. It might be different because of me, not because of Portland. I have to keep my eyes open while I am there. I have to look to see if it is a different place or not. I have to go there and not let my pass cloud my judgement.

Portland is at the top of my list of other places I would live. I have put it on the top of my list because of my experience when I lived there last time. I have to see if it deserves to be that high on my list. I left Portland thinking that I had not learned all the secrets of the city. I felt like I was leaving it earlier then I should. I am still happy I came down to San Jose. Working for TiVo is one of the best decisions I ever made. I still feel a pull toward Portland. I have to figure out if that pull makes sense or not. I have to see if I can figure out the differences in Portland now.

Comments

Popular Posts