800.GONE

When I went Portland and the dot.com craze was just starting, I worked at 800.COM. It was an interesting place to work. It had that excitement that you see at start ups. When I first worked there they brought in Lunch and Dinner every night. I worked overtime almost everyday so I could get both meals. I worked with a great bunch of people.

Today I read on F---ed Company that 800.COM had gone out of business. If I read F---ed Company more often I would have known this was coming. Reading F---ed Company gets depressing after a little while. You know there are companies are at the bottom of that pile.

When I worked at 800.COM I was really caught up in the whole idea of the New Economy. I thought that company like 800.COM would really change the retail landscape. I liked the people I worked with, but it was clear that we were on the bottom of the ladder at 800.COM. After temping for 6 months I left. I felt the company had no loyalty to me. I wonder what would have happened if I had been hired as an employee.

I was not hired and I went on to San Jose later that year. I am still at the job I left Portland for. I think about how different my life would have been if I stayed in Portland. I still hear from a couple of my 800.COM Friends. It is not that often. It is still good to hear from them. I wonder they they think about all this.

Comments

Popular Posts