SJ Auto Show

I went to the San Jose International Auto Show on Sunday. It is one of the shows where the auto makers show off their models for the next model year. They are trying to hype the cars, get people interested in them. There was only one concept car, the Ford Forty-Nine. It is a cross between the bat-mobile and an old Lincoln. It would be cool if it actually got into production.

I walked around the auto show for a while. I could tell there were a lot of people that were looking at cars they could never afford in real life. I will admit that I sat in both the Mercedes and BMW convertibles. I stopped there. I did not want to be the guy sitting in all the BMWs. They did not let people in the uber-expensive cars like Ferrari and Rolls Royce.

I tried to sit in all the cars that I might buy the next time I am looking for a car. I have three main criteria, under $20,000, at least 30-MPG city, and I need to be about to get in without needing a shoehorn. I think that these things fit the way I few a car. I know that I want a car that is cheap to own. I also want a car that I do not have to worry about it being stolen. There are very few cars that fit all of these categories. The two cars that I liked the most are the VW New Beetle and the Saturn L100.

I am very divided when it comes to cars. There is part of me that really likes cars. I love to drive. I love being on the road. I love the freedom that my car gives me. I have been itching for months to take a good road trip.

There is another part of me that wants to get rid of my car. I want to never make a car payment again. I want to get out of the daily grind of the traffic jam. I want to be the person that asks other people for rides. I have friends that live without cars. There is part of me that is jealous of them.

I am not going to buy a new car anytime soon. I want to own my current car for at least another three years. I want to get every penny of value out of it. By the time I am looking to buy a car, the cars at the car show will be used lease returns. That is what I will most likely be buying anyway.

Comments

Popular Posts