Grab a beer, Kick Back and Reflect

I got into work today and this article about layoffs was on the front page of MSN. It seems very appropriate. We had a "force reduction" today in the call center. It is not really a new layoff. We knew it was coming. It is a delayed action from the last layoff. It was no surprise to people when it happened. We let go of eight people. I think that only one of them was surprised they were let go on this cut.

One of the people was the guy who had been working with the call center the longest. He was there when the call center opened. Now I am the person that has been with customer support the longest. I arrived in Sept '99. There is only one other person left in the call center who was hired in 1999. I am always impressed when I think about the people who I have lasted longer then.

On days like this I have to think. I knew that I would not be laid off today, but I still had a plan for what I would do if I were laid off. I decided I was going to take a vacation. I would pack up my car and take a vacation for a week. When that week was over, I would decide what I was going to do. I would just relax for a week and not worry about anything. If I was laid off I would need a week like that.

Since I was not laid off, I have to wonder where all this is leading me. I have to wonder where my life is going with this job. Where will I be in 2003? These are all things I was thinking about when I left the job today. What will the company look like on the day I leave? Why will I leave it in the end? Will I be remembered?

Right now I am just kicking back and trying to not think about these things. There will be another "force reduction" in two months. I will hold my breath then just in case some plans have changed. I have ideas, but not plans. I think that is what my life is about right now. I am not working to worry about the things I cannot control.

Comments

Popular Posts