Thoughts on an Old Job

The last company that I worked for before I left the Philadelphia area was Ficomp, Inc. In many ways working at that job helped me figure out that I wanted to leave town. I was an accounts receivable clerk there. It was really a futureless job. I could have stayed in the same position for 30 years and no one would have noticed.

I went back there today to have lunch with a friend who is still working there. The company has grown and there are some new faces there. What surprises me are the things that have not changed. A lot of the people I worked with are still there. Most of them are still working in the same jobs. Some of those people are having the same conversations they had three years ago.

When I go back to that building I am so happy that I left for the west coast. I have no doubt if I was still at Ficomp I would be more unhappy that I can even think about right now. I think about the idea of working for this company again and it makes me want to gag. I know if I hit hard times and I was back in the Philadelphia area, I would have to think about asking for a job there. This is an idea that scares me.

I think I am done visiting Ficomp when I come home to visit my family. I will still try to visit my friend who works there, but I do not want to keep on visiting the office. I think I have it out of my system now. I do not think I need to network with these people any more. It is time for me to break with this part of my pass.

Comments

Popular Posts