Christmas Party

I went to a Christmas party over the weekend. It is the first Christmas party I have gone to this year. One of the guys from work was throwing it. I have been bugging him for months about when he was going to invite me to his house. He purchased the house about 8 months ago. I kept on telling him that he should have a get together with some people from work. I wonder if he invited me because I kept on bothering him.

I had a good time at the party. I have noticed that I have lost some of the social skills that I used to have. It has been a while since I have been at a party where I did not know anyone. I used to be good at injecting myself into conversations. I did not do this on Saturday. I spent most of my time listening to other people and watching them. My friend is a Stanford grad. A lot of the people at the party were from Stanford. My mind seemed to glaze over when people started to talk about Stanford.

I was the only person from work who showed up. This surprised me a little bit. I thought that there would be more people from work there. My friend is a well liked person around the office. I would think that more people would want to come to his party. There is something very Silicon Valley about this. I think people what some level of distance from the people they work with.

Toward the end of the night my friend broke out his X-Box. We played Fuzion Frenzy, Halo, and Dead or Alive 3. The X-Box is a pretty good game system. There were a few of us left. We hung around and played video games for a long time. It was 4 AM before we left. I had a really good time playing the video games. It was easy to socialize with the people then. Since we had the game to connect with, it was easier to joke with each other.

I am happy that I went to this party. I usually do not get out enough. It was worth my time to get out of my apartment. Too often I build these partied up in my head before I go to them. I am usually disappointed. I did not build this up in my head and I was not disappointed. I seemed to be more in the moment when I went to this party. I think that helped me enjoy it.

Comments

Popular Posts